Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Dan Kelm's workshop part 2. "Where did we go wrong?"

No, not a lamentation uttered while working on this box; yes, the "Round Box" got a proper name! More about the "content" later.

This in itself could be a finished box, but where would the fun be..

An extra layer added to accommodate the copper rods that will hold the pages in place.

Figuring out the spacing of the holes for the rods.

The "bare" box starts taking shape.

Working out the hinging details of the round enclosure/door on a model - I used copper tubing, threaded on a smaller tube.




 I then worked out how to attach this to the main body.



The two halves of the door, with the flaps that go around the hinge.


One half attached to the hinge.

The two halves attached to the hinge.

The doors with the inside lining.

Trying out the concept of the pages.

At this stage, only the bottom box with the drawers is finished. Everything else is still in the "try-out with masking tape" stage. I am working on the content, and then when all the individual pieces are ready, it can be put together. The last stage is where I assemble the rods, pages, lid and door in fell swoop. Until then I will have done many dry runs, using masking tape and clips.

The learning on this project is incredible, and I am documenting my mistakes. When this box is finished I consider it my "learning" box. The one after that will be the exhibition-standard one!

No comments:

Post a Comment